Surf Mesa’s “ily (i love you baby)” is out via Astralwerks Records
It’s often stated it takes at least a decade to become an overnight success. For rising producer Surf Mesa, years of countless original tracks, remixes on SoundCloud, and tireless work on his sound and craft have landed him at this exact ascending moment.
At 19 years old, the electronic artist born Powell Aguirre is navigating the enormous wave of his first major hit “ily (i love you baby)” featuring Emilee. In addition to amassing over 100 million streams to date, the track is currently rising within the Top 10 of Billboard’s Dance/Electronic Songs chart and has already reached #1 on Spotify’s Global Viral 50.
Like any true artist, however, Surf Mesa is already preparing for the follow-up to his first viral single. Enjoying the ride but set on not allowing one release to define his career, Powell is channeling the vibrant energy of his musical influences as he continues to solidify his path toward long-term success.
Recently signed to Astralwerks, and with determination to release a full-length debut, we find the West Coast native rising to the occasion and ready to make a strong case for his staying power. Get to know Surf Mesa below.
1. How long have you been producing music and what inspired you to start?
I first started producing music when my older brother helped me install FL Studio on my computer. I was in 3rd grade, and it’s been a strong passion of mine ever since. What inspired me to start was hearing my dad play the saxophone every night! He is in a jazz band, so it’s nice to share the hobby in the family.
2. What’s the toughest hurdle you’ve faced on the path to starting?
What has been a struggle is definitely figuring out what makes me separate from others and how I can establish myself in this artist project. Finding my niche sound was one thing but I wanted to dive deeper and build a brand around the music I make.
3. Who are some of your musical inspirations? How have they shaped your creative process or sound?
I look up to artists who include vibrant energy into their art. This is what makes music an art form in my opinion. My main musical inspirations would be Coldplay, The Chainsmokers, and Kygo. They shaped my sound by demonstrating how passionate they are about the music they put out.
4. Your most recent single “ily (i love you baby)” is an unstoppable viral hit. What’s been your reaction to the massive success of the song?
These last few months have been wild, but nothing short of a blessing. While this is all very insane and a lot to digest, I wish that people can see me as an artist larger than this song. This is a result of my foundational passion to create music and there is so much more to come.
5. Did making this track feel different from previous releases?
Yes. This track was made in one single sitting. I didn’t get up for anything, and at 5 AM, when the song was finished, I posted it on SoundCloud.
6. “ily (i love you baby)” just got its first official remix from Russian producer Arty. As someone that has remixed countless tracks on SoundCloud — how does it feel being on the flip side and having known artists remix your music?
It’s amazing! But of course, there is more to the industry pathway than having awesome producers remix my songs. I’m currently in the process of learning to put my shoulders on the notch of where I am at because this is certainly not the end of the Surf Mesa project.
7. If you could drop an official remix of a song out now – which would you pick?
THE SCOTTS – “THE SCOTTS.”
8. You recently signed with Astralwerks! Will we hear new music from you soon?
Yes! Really excited for what’s next.
9. What can we expect from you this year?
Hopefully, a full-length project releasing this year.
10. What is one of your goals as your career develops?
11. What is one thing you can’t live without?
Connect with Soundazed